Fishbowl Solutions will be kicking off a webinar series starting next Thursday, August 3rd. Our first webinar topic will be “5 Key Reasons to Upgrade to Oracle WebCenter Content or Portal 12c”. Why did we pick this topic, and why is this topic relevant now? Those are both good questions, especially if you are a well-informed WebCenter customer and you know that 12c was released almost 2 years ago.
To answer those questions, please let me start by stating that Fishbowl Solutions has performed many WebCenter upgrades over the years. While each one may have been different in size and scope, we have seen some common reasons/themes emerge from what drove customers to start their upgrade when they did.
Why upgrade to WebCenter 12c Now?
- Get Current with Support and Maintenance
- Premier and Extended support for 10g customers has elapsed. Most of the customers we talk to know this, but they might not know that they can do an upgrade directly from 10g to 12c. When you consider that Premier support for WebCenter Content and Portal 11g elapses in December of 2018, it makes sense to go directly to 12c instead of 11g. You can review Oracle’s Support Policies for Fusion Middleware here.
- Explore Cloud Options for Content Management
- With the release of 12c, Oracle introduced ways to integrate and share content between Oracle WebCenter on premise and the Oracle Content and Experience Cloud. This provided an easy way for organizations to share and collaborate on documents. If your organization is still deciding on your roadmap for content management – on premise, hybrid, cloud first – 12c provides the capabilities to explore use cases for the cloud while maintaining your content on premise.
- Content and System Consolidation
- Some legacy WebCenter customers come to the realization that they have too many instances of the system in place, as well as disparate/duplicate content being managed. Instead of trying to audit each one of their individual systems and fix or change any metadata issues, security groups, etc., they decide that doing an upgrade rectifies a lot of these problems, and enables them to get rid of content no longer needing management or retention.
- Growing List of Environment & Technology Dependencies
- Perhaps your organization wants to move the latest version of Oracle Database, but you can’t because your legacy WebCenter system utilizes an older version. Unless you upgrade WebCenter, your organization as a whole may be impacted by not being able to utilize the newest version of associated or dependent technologies.
- User Expectations – Better User Experience
- WebCenter Content and Portal 12c provide a better user experience for users and administrators. Since organizations want everyone to experience these better interfaces, they start to consider who the actual users of the system are, and they build an experience designed for each of those user personas. So while the upgrade to 12c would have improved the overall experience, organizations use the upgrade to design the best experience possible to ensure widespread adoption and overall use.
We will discuss each of these in more detail during the webinar next Thursday. You can find more information and register for the webinar here.
We hope you can join us.